Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Self-Assessment



 http://www.screenr.com/pcpH

Self-Analysis of Speech

A: Topic Development
            I think I did a really good job in this section. I had a lot of sources that I found with the help of Ebscohost. They were really helpful to know I had examples and facts to backup what I was saying. During my speech, I myself did not quote the source with my words, but did have the citations in the PowerPoint slide I prepared. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to actually say it in my speech or not, and I thought my speech would flow better without saying the citations. So that could be a negative.
B: Introduction
            I did not do a greeting. I figured that were poor ways of starting a speech. But if it was needed that could be a weakness. My attention getting strategy was to use some statistics. This also established credibility. My preview of the topics covered was in my thesis statement. I took out the other preview because I thought it was unnecessary and redundant. Plus my speech was very long so I had to cut about a minute and a half. I did not do any specific transition.  I said "One way social networking is beneficial is that it has helped business and the economy." I guess this is a transition although I did not write it in my outline.
C. Organization
            I do make sure to identify each main idea before I get into the sub-points to make sure the audience understands what I am going to talk about. My speech did come within the time limit but I did have to edit it because it was 1 minute and 20 seconds over the time limit so I cut down on some sections and tried to speak a little quicker. I think I did a pretty good job with notes. I have highlighted section and my introduction and conclusion on notes. I tried to use my PowerPoint to aid myself in my outline of my presentation. I think I began speaking more freely in the middle and the end.
D. Support Material
            Well on our outline it said we needed three citations, but I did have four put in my PowerPoint. I had a lot of scholarly articles and some newspaper articles. Weakness I did not cite these sources in my speech with my words.
E. Physical Vocal Delivery
            I think I sounded pretty professional in this speech. I think I did have confidencce and maintained eye contact. I didn't move use many gestures. If I did it was more in the beginning or the end. I tried not to be distraction. I wish I had spoke with more enthusiasm and used a little more facial expression, but it's a little odd when you don't see your audience. Near the end of my conclusion I got a little tongue tied on my words, but I thought in general I did well.
F. Conclusion
            I think my conclusion was excellent. I used had a transition and had a good summary. Then I tried to inspire my listeners to use what I told them and make a difference. Things I did not do was thank the audience. That could have been understandable. I still think that a greeting in the introduction would have been bad.
G. Overall
1. I think it was very effective. I had a lot of good support and had a lot of good organization. I think it also interested the audience. I think I spoke pretty well even if I didn't use a lot of different expression.
2. I wanted to sound more professional and be more prepared. I think I accomplished that. I had a lot of back-up information making me more confident in my speech giving. Although I sounded less enthusiastic. I really worked on the organization of the speech to make the speech more clear and easier for the audience to listen to.
3. I think next I need to work on more expression in my face and in my voice. I was more focused on the time limit. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near the time frame. Also I should try and use more nonverbal communication like using my hands.
4. It surprised me how little I used facial expression. I also would have a hard time always looking directly at the camera. Again when we have a real audience you can gaze across at different parts of the audience, but when your audience is just behind the camera when you look around it looks distracting.
5. Three goals for next time
            a. I will work more on increasing facial expression.
            b. I will working more on vocal expression.
            c. I will try and look more directly at the camera.
6. I think I will try and do more practice runs of my speech. So I'll record myself and then watch it and take notes of what I am doing. I think since I am used to being a performer, I should think of it more like a performance and I might be able to get a little more enthusiasm.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to honestly assess the quality of one's own speech, because so many people tend to focus on (the very few) things they did "wrong," and do not notice the (usually many more) things they did "right." I appreciate your honesty in assessing your speech, and I think that you have set yourself very attainable goals for your persuasive speech.

    ReplyDelete