Friday, July 19, 2013

Speech Self-Assessment



Self-Introduction Speech Self-Assessment Form




http://www.screenr.com/5UWH



Strong
Improve
Content
The introduction is very strong. I think I gave good reasons and explanations about my interests. I really liked the examples for my favorite websites.
The book section I might have been able to improve on content. I forgot what to say a bit and tried to recover.
Delivery
I thought over my sentences flowed well and didn't sound too rehearsed. I think I sounded very strong in the introduction and conclusion. I really liked my visuals. I think they helped aid people to know exactly what I was talking about.
Struggled in the my section of my talked about my favorite books. Also a bit of a stutter in the Youtube section.  Sometimes the when I list things my voices raises a lot and sort of whines. It sounds like I'm bored. I could work on sounding more convincing. My cell phone happened to go off during the last recording. It was my best recording so I had to send that take.

Questions:

  1. What are your top three strengths as a speaker? To what do you attribute your success?
            I think I have confidence in myself which comes across in my speech. I attribute this to the way my parents raised me and my experience speaking in front of others. I think I am good at developing good introductions and conclusion. I attribute this to my high school English teacher. It was always my strongest part of a paper. Lastly, I think I develop good transitions as well so the parts of the speech flow, which again I think I can draw back onto my good writing background.

  1. What three things do you have the most trouble with? What do you think are the sources of these problems?
I think I need to work on my tone. Sometimes it comes off unprofessional, and it might just come from the normal way that I talk. I did want it to sound fun a bit, but I wasn't sure how much. I think I struggled sometimes finding the right words. Often when I describe the book Divergent I describe it as post-apocalyptic which it kind of is, but the word I'm looking for is dystopian society and I got hung up when I tried to talk about it and just said it's awesome. Sometimes I have trouble coming up with the right descriptive words. Sometimes I stuttered a bit, but I think I recovered well. I think it comes from a bit of nerves and not sure what I'm saying next.

  1. What is your most pressing content problem? How do you plan to overcome it in your future speeches?
      Honestly, I thought my content was very good. I had a bit of trouble delivering on the sections about my favorite books and in the Youtube section articulating. This can be helped with more rehearsal.

  1. What is your most pressing delivery problem? How do you plan to overcome it in your future speeches?
I would often forget the right words to say which made me pause or stutter. I also think sometimes I talked in a sing-songy style when I listed. I think I just need practice how I want to sound and record myself and analyze it.

  1. If you had a chance to present this speech again, what would you differently? Why?

            I would have practiced more and worked on my speaking voice. I think I need to speak with a little more enthusiasm and more conviction. I think this will help my speech most of all.

1 comment:

  1. I think you might be being a little hard on yourself with your delivery, but I also think you have set some good goals for your upcoming informative speech.

    ReplyDelete